A1 move - Setup Locations Script? Program?

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
LMSSC

A1 move - Setup Locations Script? Program?

Post by LMSSC » Tue Aug 31, 2010 2:24 pm

Dear Michael,

We are currently in the process of moving A1 from one server to another.

To make this work, one step will be adding the correct new location to each computer system:

From A1 Login Screen - Setup - Setup Locations - Add - Enter Name and Location

Currently I can either:

Go to each computer system and enter this Manually Before the move OR enter it manually After the move - This means adding the same information in about 30+ accounts on separate computer systems.

*However, is there any way to add this information once and then have it added/copied automatically to each workstation as they login to the database? That way after the move the user would only have to change the "Select Location" to the new location.

For example:

1. I add in the new name and location once in Setup/A script.

2. Users login - As they login this information gets copied to their local workstation account

3. We do the move

4. Users simply change the "select location" to the new name

-Is something like this possible? Any thoughts/suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you very much!
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Re: A1 move - Setup Locations Script? Program?

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 4:42 pm

If you are changing out your server it is not necessary to go to any workstation at all and do anything. All you have to do is make sure the drive mapping is the same on the new server as it currently is now on the old server. (:P)

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Tue Aug 31, 2010 6:35 pm

Good point.

In our situation: We are moving to a different server with a different name - so new mapping.
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Aug 31, 2010 8:34 pm

Wait - I'm not understanding you here. If the new server has the same name as the old one (or even if it doesn't) you still have to MAP the network drives on all the workstations to the new server with a drive letter. Perhaps this can be done in a login script. If the workstations have the same drive mappings to the new server then still nothing needs to change regarding the A1-Law configuration.

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Fri Sep 17, 2010 3:28 pm

Dear Mike,

Thanks again for the input.

I think I see what you mean.

1. If we are moving the location of the files from a shared folder that is named Appell from one server to another...

2. If we have our A1 location setup to:

(Location) is:
Z:\a1law

3. We can change the user account logon script so make Z: point to any location we want.

So if currently in the logon script in C:\Windows\SYSVOL\sysvol\\scripts has:

use Z: \\(older server)\appell

4. We change the login script to:

use Z:\\(newer server)\appell

5. So next time the User logs on they are pointed to the new location.

MUCH easier than trying to change this each time at each workstation location when you want to move the A1 law files.

Thanks!

Sincerely, Michael Lerner - Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Admin1
Site Admin

Post by Admin1 » Fri Sep 17, 2010 7:47 pm

Yes - but please be aware that you might need to reassign all the users to the new domain (assuming there is a domain) even if it is the same name. I'm not a network IT expert but I'm pretty sure this is a necessity on domains. Please check with your IT person for all the details on this.

Thanks,
Mike