can't look at PDF docs

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

can't look at PDF docs

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 11:30 am

Michael,

I am not being allowed to open a PDF document stored in a case, in the case activity file. When I try, I get a message that states:

OLE error code: ox80040154 Class not registered. Class contains OLE object being ignored. Record No: 4.

There are two buttons, one is okay, the other is cancel. If I hit cancel, program remains open. If I hit okay, I get kicked out of A1, or it freezes up, and I have to use task master to close it.

What is going on? FER

Anonymous User

Re: can't look at PDF docs

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 12:31 pm

Please try reinstalling the Adobe Acrobat Reader which is free at www.adobe.com

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 1:09 pm

I don't use Adobe. I use the Nuance PDF Professional 6. FER

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Jul 07, 2010 4:43 pm

Try double clicking on a PDF file from Windows Explorer and see if you can view it that way. Otherwise, you may have to reinstall Nuance.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 10:43 am

First of all, I went to our A1 file, found the case, and I could open the PDF files in there.

Secondly, I have discovered this does not happen just with PDF documents; it happens with any of the documents. If I have created a DOR or a letter I have done, which is in the Main Case Activity, and I want to view it, the same thing is happening. I'm getting the same error message.

Hence, it is not an Adobe problem. It's something else.

Other suggestions?

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:01 am

Have you tried re-registering all the controls? Click Tools, Miscellaneous, Register Controls. If you have Vista or Win 7 make sure the UAC is turned off or it can also be done another way to get around any security settings to block registering controls. Once you have successfully registered controls, let us know if everything works. :)

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:18 am

What is UAC?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:22 am

I did it and it worked. Still dont' know what UAC is, but took a chance. Things are working again.

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Jul 08, 2010 11:27 am

UAC is the User Access Control and if it is turned on then security may prevent controls from registering. It is accessed via the control panel, users, user settings/accounts, Manage User Control Settings or Turn on/off user account control.

I'm glad the problem is now resolved.

Mike