A1 Login - Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual Foxpro library

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
LMSSC

A1 Login - Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual Foxpro library

Post by LMSSC » Fri Feb 12, 2010 5:08 pm

Dear Michael,

Had a problem logging in to A1-Law that I think I solved. However, I wanted to make sure it was correct.

Short version:

1. Use the law.exe file to login rather than using a1login, a1login2, or the a1menu --> A1law

The other three don't seem to work after you install version 6.8.3B and re-register. Possible bug?

2. Replace all A1 shortcuts to reflect: Startup, Desktop, Quick Launch (However when you add the A1 shortcut to the quick launch bar the icon turns into the Foxpro "Fox" picture)

Long version:

A1 Version: latest version 6.8.3

1. Re-registered the files. Rebooted.

2. A1-Law login screen won't show* - Instead a message box appears saying:

"Microsoft Visual Foxpro - Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual Foxpro library"

*The A1-Law shortcut was in the C:\Documents and Settings\All Users\Start Menu\Programs\Startup - So it would load automatically when you logged in.

3. Uninstalled old A1 workstation version. Changed name of C:\Lawlocal. Installed new A1 workstation (A1setup.exe).

4. Registered files. Reboot. Same message box appears.

5. Checked the Properties of the A1 Shortcuts being used.

Shortcuts are to: C:\Lawlocal\A1MENU.EXE A1login.exe

6. In the LAWLOCAL folder - Tried A1login, A1Login2 & A1 Menu --> A1 Law

All 3 gave me the Microsoft Visual Foxpro message.

7. Tried Law.exe. A1 Login screen appeared. Version in bottom left hand corner: v 6.8. Logged in successfully.

8. Checked A1 Login version on another desktop system that hadn't been re-registered yet and was still using the A1login.exe file: v 3.2.1

9. Used law.exe to create the Desktop shortcut (which I renamed to A1 Law) - Then copied that shortcut to the Quickbuttons and to the All Users - Startup folder. Cut the Desktop Shortcut and Pasted into the All Users - Desktop folder.

10. System Reboot - A1 Law Login Screen v 6.8 appeared.

11. Attempted to re-create the issue on another Windows 2000 Professional desktop system. Same issue happened after re-registering and logging out/in or rebooting. This time instead just changed the shortcuts rather than re-installing the workstation files. Worked.
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Re: A1 Login - Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual Foxpro library

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:03 pm

If you successfully re-register controls it should work. If at the Login screen at the bottom left you have version 3.2.1 (for the login program) then you have the very latest version (and A1Login.exe is actually launching A1Login2.exe). There are some changes going on as we are preparing for the new Transfer Utility to allow offices to sync "offline" via the internet. Both login programs work but the parameters stay the same. In other words it should still be: C:\LawLocal\A1MENU.EXE A1Login.exe

A1Login.exe then checks for A1Login2.ini in the lawlocal folder and if it finds it then it assumes controls have been successfully re-registered and automatically runs A1Login2.exe.

I'm not sure exactly why you got the error. You can always FORCE A1Law to use the old A1Login screen which is VERY similar to the new one by renaming c:\lawlocal\A1Login2.ini to something else like A1Login2.OLD.

I'm wondering in Step 1 above how you re-registered the files. Did you do this from within A1-Law or at the Sign on screen clicking the Setup, Register Controls button? It really should not matter unless there were errors registering the controls.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Feb 12, 2010 6:07 pm

In addition to the above, A1Law should always be configured to run A1Login.exe (using A1Menu). But, if at the upper left corner you see A1-Law is underlined then you know the A1Login.exe program did launch the new A1Login2.exe program. The only difference is the preparation for the Transfer Utility in the near future which is in beta testing at this time and has no effect on the launching of A1-Law as both login modules will successfully launch it.

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:02 pm

Dear Michael,

1. The files were Re-registered on both Windows 2000 Professional systems using the Sign on screen and clicking the Setup, Register Controls button.

2. There seemed to be no errors during the re-registration.

3.Attempted to reach the A1 Login Screen by first running A1login.exe and then A1Login2.exe.
Both gave the following error message:

(In both cases I couldn't reach the A1 Login Screen so I couldn't Re-register)

4. Ran law.exe - Successfully was able to reach the A1 Login Screen (version 6.8).

*Do you want me to re-register from here and then see if I can get A1login.exe to work?

Sincerely, Michael Lerner - Network Administrator - Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2010 3:15 pm

Get to the A1Login screen and reregister controls or do it from within A1Law.

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Tue Feb 16, 2010 9:15 pm

Dear Michael,

Thanks for helping me get this cleared up.

1. Where would I re-register the program from within A1-Law?

2. Uisng An Administrator account on the Windows 2000 Professional system:

A. Ran law.exe --> to get the A1 version 6.8 login screen

B. Select Location - Selected the 3rd choice which was "Register Controls"

C. Checked "All Controls"

D. Re-registered without any error messages.

E. Closed the A1-Law Login screen.

F. Attempted to run the the A1-Law Shortcut:
(Which pointed to C:\Lawlocal\A1MENU.EXE A1Login.exe)

G. This brought up the same error message:

*What should I try next?

I went ahead and re-registered from a Windows XP Professional system (all registered except TOC.OCX). Logged out of Windows XP - Logged back in... No problems using A1-Law Shortcut.

Have you had any issues on your Windows 2000 Professional systems?

Thanks again.

Sincerely,
Michael Lerner - Network Administrator - Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Feb 16, 2010 10:09 pm

TOC.ocx is already registered so no worries there. Is A1-Law now underlined (at the upper left) at the sign on screen? If so, then everything is good. I've only seen problems on various operating systems when the access rights were not properly set. If there is still a problem with the workstation then one option would be to just simply do a "clean install." Just delete the c:\lawlocal folder and run A1Setup all over again. Then after pointing to the correct path for A1Law and running the program just quit out and go back to the sign on screen and you should see A1Law underlined.

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 3:54 pm

Dear Michael,

I am still having problems with the "Microsoft Visual Foxpro - Cannot locate the Microsoft Visual Foxpro library" - however that "A1 Underlined" issue may be the key to solving it.

*By the way, is there an updated version of the Workstation file A1setup.exe I could use? The version I have is at least two years old (2/13/2008) - A1-Law Workstation 6.00 Install Local Files.

Here's what I did on one of the Windows 2000 Professional systems - Clean install:

1. Uninstalled A1-Law Workstation 6.00 Install Local Files

2. Renamed folder C:\LAWLOCAL TO LAWLOCALOLD. Rebooted the system.

3. Ran the A1setup.exe file (A1-Law Workstation 6.00 Install Local Files).

4. Opened A1-Law shortcut:

In the upper left corner: A1-Law (NOT UNDERLINED)
Version ???
v 3.0.7

5. Went to Setup - Setup Locations - \\(server)\appell\a1law

6. Login Screen Changed:
In the upper left corner: A1-Law (STILL NOT UNDERLINED)
Version 6.8.3
v 3.0.7

7. Logged in Normally - A1 Sign-on
Register A1 Law Controls - Checked "All Controls" (Rather than just keeping Shell checked)

8. Named the system location.

9. Quit A1-Law.

10. Attempted to run A1-Law using the link that had been created on the desktop:
(Shortcut C:\Lawlocal\A1MENU.EXE A1login.exe)

11. Got the error message:

12. From the C:\Lawlocal folder tried A1login.exe and A1Login2.exe - Same Error message.

Sidenote: looking at the "lawlocalold3" folder --> A1login.exe is gone but A1login2.exe is still there. Perhaps it is something that is not getting wiped in the uninstall for this version of the Workstation install?

Thanks again.

Sincerely, Michael Lerner - Network Administrator - Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Wed Feb 17, 2010 4:17 pm

Dear Michael,

In regards to the Windows 2000 Profession setup above:

I ran through the same setup with a Windows XP Professional system.

1-10 was the same (only difference was that I had a mapping of Z: to \\(server)\appell so Setup Locations was Z:\a1law)

After Registering the controls and quitting A1-Law - Attempted to use the shortcut:

A1 Login came up successfully.

A1-Law WAS UNDERLINED.
Version 6.8.3
v. 3.2.1

I am not sure what the difference is between the registration now for Windows 2000 versus Windows XP since the last A1 Update (6.8.3B). I have re-registered Windows 2000 systems right before this update without problems.

Any other ideas and/or suggestions? Will keep trying to puzzle this out on my end. Do you need me to send you any files that are in the Windows 2000 lawlocal folder?

Thanks again!

Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Wed Feb 17, 2010 5:20 pm

Always use a mapped drive and not a UNC - it looks like you resolved the problem :)

Mike