Staff Merge Codes

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

Staff Merge Codes

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:15 am

I'm using WP. I need a code that will prompt the user to select from a drop down list of all staff users. Is that possible?

Instead of using a code for a specific person (ie. Secretary, Paralegal, Handling Attorney, etc), is it possible to make the code prompt the user with a list of possible staff members to choose from? Kind of like "GetParty,ask . . ." gives the user the option of all parties in the case to choose from. But I want the options to be staff members that are configured in the program. This is specifically for a signature line in this case, but I am under the impression I'll need it again for something else in another letter.

Anonymous User

Re: Staff Merge Codes

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:36 am

There are a few ways to do this.

First - if it's the user who is signed into A1-Law and you want to use their signature, then you can just use the staff,thisuser command and nothing needs to be selected at all.

Another way is to use a Merge command along with the INPUT4 command so as to allow for a dropdown for selection of a staff member. Then when staff changes since you are using a merge command, only one letter needs to be changed.

Still another way is to enter the staff members one time in the rolodex (including name, private phone #, etc.). Then you can edit the rolodex card and at the Properties section you can identify the cardcode which is a number. Next, you can use something like:

>

Where 20, 30, and 40 are rolodex card codes that are NOT attached to the Party sheet. A1-Law then lists those parties first along with those on the party sheet. Originally this idea was intended for selection of a depo and the person could select either at their office or perhaps the opposing attorney on the Party sheet. However, the office with A1-Law would normally not attach themselves to every party sheet so this was a quick and easy way to simply enter themselves in the rolodex and have them appear on the party sheet.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2009 12:52 am

Admin60 Wrote:
-------------------------------------------------------
>
> Another way is to use a Merge command along with
> the INPUT4 command so as to allow for a dropdown
> for selection of a staff member. Then when staff
> changes since you are using a merge command, only
> one letter needs to be changed.

I think this is the way I need to go. Can you elaborate a little on this option? I've used INPUT4 for info to be manually entered, but what code gives the ability to select from a staff list?

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Nov 05, 2009 7:53 am

You would enter the staff names or initials for a dropdown or combo (so they could type in a staff member if it was not in the list) or dropdown to force a specific selection like this:

>

Our staff member > will be handling your case.

Please remember though to put this code in a "master merge letter" so that this code only appears in one form in A1-Law so that if they have staff turnover then you do not need to edit it from multiple letters to add or remove a staff member.

However, if you utilize the getparty command instead then you could also specify a private phone number or other information entered into that person's rolodex card.

Mike