outlook mail questions

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Anonymous User

outlook mail questions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2009 3:14 pm

I just discovered one can email out of A1 with MS Outlook. Go ahead, call me slow.

Some questions:

I want the email to post to the case activity file. So on the email card in config settings area, what do I put in the box asking where to post? I tried "activity file" but that didn't work.

Also, in reviewing all the topics I could find on this subject in support file, do I understand it correctly, that when you send an email with this method, and posting it to the activity file, it does not post the actual email there? And the only way I can post the actual email to the activity file is to drag and drop, or copy and paste?

If that is the case, what is the value of having outlook usable through A1, other than I can have it automatically input the client's name and claim number?

Thanks,

Frank

Anonymous User

Re: outlook mail questions

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2009 4:40 pm

<<what do I put in the box asking where to post? I tried "activity file" but that didn't work.

If you leave it blank then you will need to click the dropdown to decide which category to post to. Otherwise where it says "Category To Post To it gives examples right there such that it can post to different categories depending on the type of case like W-1,P-5 etc. it will then use that as the default category.

You may also "drag and drop" any Email from your Inbox or Sent Mail directly to case activity so that the exact Outlook Email is saved with all attachments.

<<do I understand it correctly, that when you send an email with this method, and posting it to the activity file, it does not post the actual email there? And the only way I can post the actual email to the activity file is to drag and drop, or copy and paste?

It posts what was typed in the BODY of the Email but it is not an "exact copy" of the Email which would include the subject, sent to, cc's, bcc's, attachments, etc. You would have to drag and drop to do it that way. HOWEVER, please keep in mind you may save steps in the drag/drop process in that after adding to case activity and flipping to Outlook you may drag the Email onto the taskbar A1Law icon so that A1Law is automatically maximized and drag it right onto the note rather than "normalizing" both windows A1Law and Outlook.

<<If that is the case, what is the value of having outlook usable through A1, other than I can have it automatically input the client's name and claim number?

Some are fine with the "auto-post" of just the body of the letter to the Case Activity but we do eventually plan to have the full post of Sent Mail without drag and drop.

Hope that helps,
Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:07 pm

Body might be enough for now.

I do have that box blank, but when I send an email, this is the message I receive:

Invalid category

A1 could not post this email to case activity

A1 has copied it to the clipboard so you can paste it into case activity using Ctrl-V

So what do I need to change to make it work as it is supposed to work?

Also, whenever I use this email system, I get the window that pops up, from MS Outlook, this program is trying to access this program, do you wish to allow? Anything I can do to make it automatic so it always allows access between A1 and MS Outlook, both ways?

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2009 5:18 pm

Start by looking at the Category numbers in Tools, System, Configure System Defaults, Case Activity.

You will see all the case activity note categories and decide which one you want to post Emails in (you can change the category for any specific Email by clicking the category dropdown in that Email). Next, when you know the category number you want to use for the default go to Tools, System, Configure System Defaults, General, Email, Microsoft Outlook

and for the Category To Post To enter W-1 (if you want your work comp cases posting to case activity category #1 as an example).

Click Save and that should work and not give Invalid Category.

With regards to the security Popup in Outlook, you can check the box to allow access for 1 minute or you can run a free program like Outlook_ClickYesSetup. You should check with your consultant as this may compromise outlook security if someone ever sends you a virus with script behind the outlook Email. I can also send you the program as well but again - check with your consultant with regards to this. Some security programs offer a higher level with greater configuration such as security_outllook.zip and I can send that to you as well but again, check with your consultant also.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Jul 20, 2009 9:59 pm

The actual Email will now be posted automatically in tomorrow's release. In other words, it will have both the subject/body in the case activity notes as well as the actual Email which may be viewed as the attachment to the case activity note. :)

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:32 am

W-1 worked fine. I really like the system. Of course, I have more questions.

The plus sign next to the outlook button on the parties page. When I use that, I get the option of attaching documents I've created or saved into my case. That's a nice feature. However, it appears to only allow me to attach documents which are either "Print letters", but not the A1 CourtForms, like the fee disclosure statement, or the 4906 declaration.

Am I doing something wrong, or is there something I can change to alter that?

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2009 11:40 am

At this time the only way to attach a court form like that would be to first convert it to Acrobat format. If that is the ONLY form you want to attach then it is probably a lot easier to simply VIEW that court form (from Forms, Saved Documents) then print it to PDF format and when it opens it in Acrobat click File, Attach to Email.

Mike

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:39 pm

Which brings me to another question. I posed this on the posting announcing any document can be converted to a PDF document. Where would I find the directions for doing that on your site?

I took what you just said, pulling a saved doc open in the saved docs folder, and printing it to a PDF. I lost one document trying it, but a second document worked, so that's a nice feature.

But where would I find generic directions for slow people like myself? I looked in articles, newsletters and what's new, but no luck.

Thanks, Frank

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Tue Jul 21, 2009 4:46 pm

If you already have the Acrobat Writer or any PDF writer then you would do the following:

1. Pull an client card
2. Click Forms, Saved Documents
3. Click the View button to view the document and if it is already a PDF that you are viewing then just click File, Attach to Email
4. If it is not a PDF file then Print the document (you might need to right click the printer icon and select Print dialog). Choose the PDF printer to create a PDF file which will then be opened and you may click File, Attach to Email.

If you do not have the Acrobat Writer then you may install a free PDF creator or use the free one with A1-Law. Click Tools, Miscellaneous, Register Controls and select All Controls. Once completed you may select the Gnostice printer from the print dialog to creat a PDF from any file in any Windows program.

You can just save it to a temporary drive or the desktop and when it opens it in Acrobat, just click FIle, Attach to Email.

Mike

LMSSC

Post by LMSSC » Wed Jul 22, 2009 4:26 pm

>

No "slow-calling" here - Instead I am going to add thanks and kudos. I knew about the drag-and-drop Case Activity function, but I think I may have overlooked this feature.

How exactly do you do this? Is there a particular help file or article which gives step-by-step on how to do this? Do I need to check a particular setting or?

Thanks a bunch!
Sincerely,
Michael Lerner
Network Administrator
Lerner, Moore, Silva, Cunningham & Rubel
www.injuryatwork.com
(909) 889-1131