Back-up

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
Prosser

Back-up

Post by Prosser » Thu Mar 19, 2009 8:51 pm

In a previous support reply regarding back-up, you mentioned that back-up could be done much quicker if only the new changed files/data were backed-up. However, not being a knowledgeable computer type, I did not understand how to back-up only the new changed files. You lost me with "batch files." I understand the DOS commands but not sure how to use them. At this time our back-up consists of backing up our network drive (G) to our remote computer. All I need to know is how to back-up only new/ changed files to the remote. It would save us so much time. THANKS.

Anonymous User

Re: Back-up

Post by Anonymous User » Thu Mar 19, 2009 9:41 pm

So - the easiest way to create a batch file is to create a TXT file from Notepad and then just rename the txt file to a bat file. It allows you to type the batch file and it then "processes all the commands" so you don't have to type them. Try the following assuming you wanted to backup your network drive G to a USB Backup and we can call that Z in our example:

1. Click Start, programs, accessories, notepad.
2. In NotePad type the following commands:

Z:
CD \
MD A1Back
CD A1Back
G:
CD \
CD \A1Law
XCOPY *.* Z: /CDE

3. Those are the commands you would have to type "by hand" to do the backup. Instead we are putting it in a file. Next, from NotePad click File, Save As and type Z:\BackA1.bat

4. You should now be able to just double click on the file in Z and the backup should start. If it doesn't that you might have extensions turned of in which case windows has named the file z:\backa1.bat.txt and you need to click tools, folder options and check the boxes to show extensions or uncheck the hide extensions.

I can asist you with this remotely if you like. The first time you do the backup it will take a while but after that it should be superfast.

Mike

Prosser

Post by Prosser » Fri Mar 20, 2009 4:58 pm

Thanks for the help. The BackA1.bat file works great! My next question is whether it's possible to download in this manner, also. I like to do a remote back-up to my home computer and it takes forever. I use the PCAnywhere file transfer utility to do the download. I also have an internet connection to the office.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Fri Mar 20, 2009 10:17 pm

The absolute best method for that will be to either do one of two things:

1. You could do the BackA1 to your local C drive and then zip the file using winzip and transfer all of it but that could take a long time to transfer the zip file.

2. (best solution for now) Terminal Server/Remote Desktop allows you to "share drives" your local drives at home and the drives at the office. Just do the XCOPY to from work drives to your home local drive and it should be real quick.

3. The Transfer Utility due out within the next month or two allows you to "sync" data from work to a laptop and back and forth. This means you could work at home on a laptop (offline with no internet access at all) then "sync" the data with the work computer. Therefore, it allows an attorney to do work offline and sync it when they have internet access. However, the laptop or home computer acts as a backup as well. So, you would not need to work "online" with remote access - you just work offline and sync the data. Coming soon.

Mike

Prosser

Post by Prosser » Sat Mar 21, 2009 9:39 am

If I use Terminal Server/Remote Desktop, how will XCOPY know the distinction from the remote drive which is "C" and the local drive which is also "C?"

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sat Mar 21, 2009 1:50 pm

Because it uses a UNC prefix (something like TSServices). From remote desktop before signing on, click Options and then click the Local Resources tab and it allows you to use either your local printer and/or disk drives). Then you can see them on the host computer. Once signed on click My Computer and you will see all the drivers on both the host and your local computer.

Mike

Prosser

Post by Prosser » Sun Mar 22, 2009 7:03 pm

Unfortunately, it seems all the files did not get transferred using the XCOPy from G:\ to C:\.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Sun Mar 22, 2009 8:33 pm

Which files? I know that when doing it (not using Remote desktop) it copies "open files" as well but I'm not sure if that is possible with remote desktop. In other words, if others are in A1Law, then it might skip files in the data folder which may be open.

Mike

Prosser

Post by Prosser » Mon Mar 23, 2009 1:27 pm

I make sure that no one else is logged on whenever I do a backup. However, I guess there is a possibility that someone could have logged on while I was in the middle of doing the back-up. I noticed it copied some of the new e-mails but not all. It didn't copy the pictures of five new clients. I didn't check case activity but I will when I try again tonight. I will check before and after to see whether or not anyone has/had logged on. Hope that is all that it was.

Anonymous User

Post by Anonymous User » Mon Mar 23, 2009 2:11 pm

The best way would be to just do the backup at the office to a USB drive and it would take just a few minutes. Otherwise, you can also wait for the new Transfer Utility module.

Mike