A1 Law prompts users to quit

Closed Forum - older posts now retired. This forum is read only. You can search and view posts in this forum but you cannot reply or create new posts in this forum.
jay

A1 Law prompts users to quit

Post by jay » Thu Dec 27, 2001 3:11 pm

I have 2 users who are having the same problem, after doing numberous searches or performing multiple cut and paste operations A1 Law slows down during searches and then starts prompting the user to confirm their desire to quit, even though they did not try to. This is happening to the receiptionist who does numberous case searches to direct incoming calls, and to the transcriptionist who creates 30 or 40 letters a day using cut and paste. One of the PCs is a 400Mhz PC with 256M of ram, the only other program running is Groupwise email. The second PC is a 667Mhz Celeron. Even if the user trys to quit the program continues to run and keeps displaying the prompt. The only way to exit is to bring up the task list and close A1 that way. One other user saw this happening when they used the escape key to close windows instead of using the mouse, but the receiptionist says he has not used the escape key.

Michael Appell

Re: A1 Law prompts users to quit

Post by Michael Appell » Thu Dec 27, 2001 6:21 pm

Hi Jay,

it could be several things. First, I believe their office has about 30 computers. If it's only happening on two, we need to figure out what is different about those two computers. The continuous asking to quit is probably happening AFTER an error occurs. The error could be caused by a bad network cable. But the only way to tell, would be to switch their computer with another one in the office that is not having this problem. It could also happen if they inadvertantly hit the escape key (although this problem is being fixed in the most recent beta updates).

For now, they may use the standard Ctrl-F4 to close the top most window. Also, I'm not sure what version of windows they are running. Check to see how much in resources are free. Also, are they running any virus scanners and/or screen savers? Sometimes these may cause problems in general with windows and not so much A1-Law. Feel free to reply and let's keep this thread going until the problems are resolved.

Mike.

jay

Post by jay » Wed Jan 02, 2002 9:30 am

Both users are running Win98se, no screen savers, one is running Norton anti virus, one is not. Ray got an 1103 errpr, invalid seek offset in APP.QUIT on Monday while I was there, he only runs A1 Law and Groupwise. He had done about 20 searches for client names but no other activities, his primary job is to answer phones and direct clients based on search results. Now that the holidays are over and the full staff is back I will see if others are having this problem as well.
I did a PC swap for the transcriptionist, I will let you know if the problem still exists for her as well.

Michael Appell

Post by Michael Appell » Wed Jan 02, 2002 10:48 am

Great. If the PC Swap fixes the problem, then we know it is something in the PC. Otherwise, it may be a cable problem or something else.

Keep me posted,
Mike